Woodbury, New York
The Town of Woodbury, which is comprised of the hamlets of Central Valley and Highland Mills; and the area which was formerly known as the hamlet of Woodbury Falls, was officially created on December 19, 1889 by an act of the Orange County Board of Supervisors. The first town meeting was held the following year on March 4th with John A. Patterson presiding as Supervisor. The second Supervisor was James Seaman. Eventhough the land is no longer used for farming, the Seaman family property can still be identified by a sign which reads “Sweet Clover Farm” along Route 32 on the northern end of town.
Gateway to Orange County
In today's world, the beauty of the Town of Woodbury, with the Schunnemunk Mountains in the background and the Woodbury Creek meandering through the valley, remains as pleasing to the eye as it did one hundred years ago. However, eventhough Woodbury remains a bedroom community, it can no longer be considered a sleepy, little town. Often known as the “Gateway to Orange County,” Woodbury is located in the southern portion of Orange County, New York at the intersection of Route 6, Route 17, and Exit 16 (Harriman) of the New York State Thruway (Interstate Route 87). The population is approximately 9,000 people. Woodbury borders the Town of Stony Point in Rockland County and property belonging to the http://www.usma.edu/'. United States Military Academy at West Point. The populated portion of West Point is approximately 15 miles east of Woodbury. Bear Mountain State Park is about an equal distance away. Woodbury is approximately 45 miles north of New York City. Many Woodbury residents commute to work in N.Y.C. daily.
The largest employer and tourist attraction in the town is the Woodbury Common Premium Outlet Center located at Exit 16 of the N.Y.S. Thruway. Shoppers come from near and far, including internationally, to shop the approximate 220 upscale stores including Sachs, Liz Claiborne, Tommy Hilfiger and Bass.